Amit was born in Hooghly chinsurah(west Bengal) in 1973. Even as a child his first love was art. It was the primary objective of his life. His notebooks at school were invariably filled with sketches and paintings. The scintillating, pristine, rustic beauty of rural Bengal inspired him to take the brush at a very tender age.
The clear blue skies, fallen autumn leaves, grazing cattle and the daily life of the village, nestled on the banks of the river Hoogly inspired him.
At the age of sixteen while at the Calcutta Govt. Art College, Amit was blessed with the guidance of Shri Paresh Das, a noted artist and gold medallist. Subsequently he gained further insights into art under the famous Subal Jana and Niloy Ghosh, who together enriched his style. He was also inspired by Bikash Bhattacharya and Suhas Roy during his initial period.
Amit speaks of his style as “…a new semi realistic technique of texturing with the realistic play of light and shade”.
His latest series on Buddha was inspired from the images of Ajanta paintings and Gandhara sculptures. Amit carefully blends the two forms of ancient Indian art and individualizes his innovative style. The Rajasthan series appearing like the photographic collages captures the glimpses of the puppets and the musicians. It gradually unfolds in the minds the images of the colourful folklore of Rajasthan against the sandy milieu.
Amit can capture every subject on his canvas. In a nut shell, his paintings lets the viewer to re-examine the threshold between illusion and reality, between waking and dreaming.
Some of his accomplishments:
Solo Shows :
- Hotel Chancery, Bangalore - 2002
- Mahua Art Gallery, Bangalore - 2004
- Habi Art Gallery, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, September - 2005
- Mahua Art Gallery, Dollars Colony, Bangalore - July 2005
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - September 2006
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - August 2007
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - September 2008
- Mahua Art Gallery, Sadashivnagar, Bangalore – August 2009
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - September 2010
Group Shows :
- Academy of Fine Arts, Calcutta
- All India Fine Arts Thtya Kendra, Calcutta
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - 2005
- Mahua Art Gallery, Leela Palace, Bangalore - April 2006
- Arpana Art Gallery, New Delhi - November 2006
- Kamalnayan Bajaj Art Gallery, Mumbai - March 2007
- The Gallery Cork, London - July 2007
- AIFACS Gallery, New Delhi –October 2007
- Hotel Radisson, New Delhi – November 2007
- Mahua art Gallery, Bangalore – August2008
- Genesis art Gallery, Calcutta – January 2008
- The Stainless Gallery, New Delhi – September 2008
- Mahua art Gallery, Bangalore – April2009
- Contemporary Art Fair India (Travancore Palace) New Delhi-2009
- Mahua art Gallery, Bangalore –December 2009
- Kamalnayan Bajaj Art Gallery, Mumbai – November 2010
Personal and corporate collections in India,USA, Switzerland, Singapore, Spain, Bangkok, Italy, London,Dubai,Amsterdam, Canada and many private collections.